Re: [VHFcontesting] KC8QVO portable in EN39

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] KC8QVO portable in EN39
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 22:06:32 -0700
Eric,

Have a look at
http://www.n6rk.com/falling_derrick_gme/falling_derrick_gme.html

I put up a 40 ft tower (not a crank up) with small tribander plus
vertical mounted above all by myself one Field Day using the falling
derrick method.  Takes quite a while to rig, though.

The trick is to use 4-way guying instead of 3.  That way the lateral
guys can be made the right length and tied off before the tower goes up.
  They keep the tower from slewing sideways.

Let me know if you want more details.  I've got a write-up of what I did
somewhere.

73, Jim Smith   VE7FO