Re: [VHFcontesting] stacking 2m & 6m & rotator questions

To: "'Joshua M. Arritt'" <jarritt@vt.edu>,<vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] stacking 2m & 6m & rotator questions
From: "Mike Clarson" <mclarson@rcc.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:03:33 -0400
 Have also explored minimal antenna rotors for similar purposes. The Radio
Shack rotor with three wires does not hold its calibration with any
reasonable load. The control box has its own motor and with all the back and
forth in a contest, you will end up 60 degrees off in no time! I have a very
similar rotor with four wires (a Channel Master, I believe. Now part of
Andrew Corp). Never had a problem with calibration. Had a 5 element Cush
Craft 6 meter antenna (12 ft boom) on it for 3 years without a problem.
Often put an 11 el Cush Craft 2 meter beam on it for contests, 5 ft above
the 6 meter antenna.  Recently had a broken wire which caused me to have to
open the unit, and no sign of wear on the plastic gears. I would stick with
no more than a five ft mast unless you have a thrust bearing. Good
luck.--Mike, WV2ZOW