Re: [VHFcontesting] Banning The Use Of 144.200 MHz During Contests

To: Ron Klimas WZ1V <wz1v@sbcglobal.net>, wa4kxy@bellsouth.net,<vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Banning The Use Of 144.200 MHz During Contests
From: "M.T." <martho1@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:14:32 -0500
Howdy

During our rover effort in 2003, we encountered all kinds of issues with
calling frequencies on all bands.

In the St. Louis area, my contest partner attempted to move stations from
band to band and move them to 144.212 Mhz.
In several instances, he was told the other station would not move off of
.200    The reasoning was that
if they spread out, no one will be able to find them and they are going to
stay put on .200
This was a consistent thing that year for most of the stations we worked
down there.

Then, Sunday morning up in Milwaukee, things were quiet and we made some
calls on 144.203 and
several hams complained about contesting on the calling frequency.  They
were not participating in the contest, but obviously they
were trying to make contacts on 2m and listening.  Could they be people who
are opposed to contesting and just there to complain
as so many do?   Could these same people be the ones pushing for no
contesting on the calling freqs?

I completely agree that there are geographical challenges with changes in
any of the rules.  I do not want to beat
a dead horse with the rover circle/grid dance issue, however in a rural
area,  that might be the only way to make contacts.
If you change the rule because of an issue in a high population area, you
can very easily penalize the rural areas.     Furthermore, what if I am on
144.201?    Many of the logging programs will show the frequency for every
QSO if you have rig control.  Will this rule force everyone to have rig
control with their contest logging
software? I see any changes to the calling freq rule a waste of time and
effort.

Unless any proposed rule change(any portion of VHF contesting) encourages
new operators and more activity, it should have little to no support.

Mark
N9UM