Re: [VHFcontesting] Adjacent frequencies

To: wa4kxy@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Adjacent frequencies
From: Alex <kr1st@amsat.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:36:52 -0400
Hi Jim,

Jim Worsham wrote:

> For SSB the answer is not nearly as straight forward.
> Since there has never been an SSB frequency not allowed for use during a
> contest that would be new ground.

Not in the sense perhaps as you're thinking of (as part of contest
rules), but there may be a precedent. During emergency situations the
FCC can declare certain frequencies on HF for a particular use only.
They have a term for such declarations which escapes me at the moment. I
think they also define what the guard bands are in such situations.

Perhaps the 60 meter allocations can be a guide also as the maximum
allowable signal bandwidth of a 60m allocation is specified.

In any case, I'd pick 3 kHz on either side for USB signals. Sure, one
can go into the semantics of how wide a USB signal is and that perhaps
only 1.5 kHz is required, but that's academic (to me). Radios vary in
stability, frequency accuracy, passband curves, noise blanker
characteristics and you name it. 3 kHz reasonably ensures that a
neighboring signal stays out of the passband of a radio parked on
144.200 MHz. Perhaps wider is even more preferable.

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com