Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom 706MKII or Kenwood TS690

To: John Geiger <w5td@lcisp.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom 706MKII or Kenwood TS690
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 05:38:32 -0700
     One thing to consider with the TS-690 is that if you want amp keying, the
DIN connector with that pin comes out the side of the rig, not the back like
every other radio on the planet.  This may limit mobile mounting options or
limit how it's arranged with other gear in a fixed station.

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 05:31:12AM -0000, John Geiger wrote:
> I currently have an Icom 706MKII which I picked up recently, and it is doing
> a decent job on HF and 6, other than the receiver overloading at times in the
> IARU contest, and the SSB audio being kind of wimpy-really can't push it to
> 100 watts out.  It is nice to have the built in CW keyer, and the 100 watts
> on 6 meters, not to mention 20 watts on 2 meters.
>
> However, I have also been looking at a couple of Kenwood TS690s which I could
> get in exchange for the MKII.  I had a TS690 briefly last year, and it seemed
> like a pretty good radio.  The 690 would have built in autotuner, more filter
> options,and better metering (you can read power and SWR at the same time),
> but it would require an outboard keyer, and only does 50 watts on 6 meters,
> with no 2 meters. Still, it seems like it might be a better contest performer.
>
> Has anyone compared these 2 rigs?  And what are other's opinions?  Would the
> TS690 be a better rig to have than the 706MKII?  It is much less menu driven.
>
> 73s John W5TD

Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com
http://www.kenharker.com/