Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom 706MKII or Kenwood TS690

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom 706MKII or Kenwood TS690
From: Bruce Herrick <bdh@teleport.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:08:20 -0600

Kenneth E. Harker wrote:
> One thing to consider with the TS-690 is that if you want amp keying,
> the DIN connector with that pin comes out the side of the rig, not
> the back like every other radio on the planet.  This may limit mobile
> mounting options or limit how it's arranged with other gear in a
> fixed station.

Au contraire.  The side connector is for the rig's serial interface,
which is generally not needed.  I agree it is a dumb place for the
connector.  The PTT signal is available on the ACC2 connector on the
back panel, or you can add another connector as I did and separate the
PTT for HF and 6M.  See K2UA's excellent article on transverter
interfacing in the January 2000 QST.

Bruce WW1M