[VHFcontesting] 6M rejection/rigs questions

To: <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 6M rejection/rigs questions
From: "David Ashworth" <fathom@dslextreme.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 21:25:39 -0000
Hi to all, made a contact to North Dakota (6m) from a folded dipole 10' off
the ground in San Francisco. I am buzzed and this not much compared to a
great opening.  I am still buzzed and need to learn more. However, had
trouble hearing a local ham 50 or so miles away due to other things on the
band.  I know the multi band HF to UHF radios like the Icom 706 are not the
best in the world at rejecting signals.  They are a good all around radio
for the buck.

   I am within 2 miles of the xmitter. http://www.jimprice.com/sutro/    I
don't blame them, they need the 5 MW or so to sell something and report the
dismal news here abouts. Running an Icom 706 on 2 and 6.  2 seems to be just
fine, 6m, hear ch 2 or something else except virgin RF.   Have a KW480 that
will work six.  Just wonder, what rig or filters do you guys/gals run when
you are very close to something like RF hell on 6m ?  Perhaps it is time to
get to the country.

  I get up to the high county in Northern Ca when the snow melts.  I am now
getting good reports from my homemade copper folded dipoles 2m/6m. Beams
work better, and I am working on a portable version that may be stuffed into
a pvc pipe for transport.  This stuff seems to be addicting.  Perhaps, the
black flies will be gone when I get back to the high country.  They were
very nasty a month ago.  Well, thanks again for your input, I am learning
quite a lot.

 Thank you for your comments and recommendations, Dave, NC6P.