Re: [VHFcontesting] 6M rejection/rigs questions

To: "David Ashworth" <fathom@dslextreme.com>,<VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 6M rejection/rigs questions
From: kr7o@vhfdx.com
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:00:09 -0700
Dave,

I have been on Sutro before with a 706mkII and don't recall severe problems
on 6m and an HO loop.  Your problem up there could be front end overload
from multiple out of band sources or from the KTVU-2 transmitter (not sure
where it is located).  An ICE 6m bandpass filter should clean that up
pretty well and is > $40 for the low power version.  There are four
versions (I think)  50-50.500Mhz @200W and 6KW and 50-54MHz at similar
power levels.  If you are getting killed from nearby TV-2 I would recommend
the narrowband version (unless you can't live without the high part of the
band.  I used to have severe problems between my 756pro on 6m and 706mkII
on 2m at legal limit with the 2m antenna between the 6m stack, but adding 6
and 2m ICE filters cleaned that up.

Turning your preamp and attenuator off may help also.

At 09:25 PM 7/15/2006 +0000, David Ashworth wrote:
>Hi to all, made a contact to North Dakota (6m) from a folded dipole 10' off
>the ground in San Francisco. I am buzzed and this not much compared to a
>great opening.  I am still buzzed and need to learn more. However, had
>trouble hearing a local ham 50 or so miles away due to other things on the
>band.  I know the multi band HF to UHF radios like the Icom 706 are not the
>best in the world at rejecting signals.  They are a good all around radio
>for the buck.
>
>    I am within 2 miles of the xmitter. http://www.jimprice.com/sutro/    I
>don't blame them, they need the 5 MW or so to sell something and report the
>dismal news here abouts. Running an Icom 706 on 2 and 6.  2 seems to be just
>fine, 6m, hear ch 2 or something else except virgin RF.   Have a KW480 that
>will work six.  Just wonder, what rig or filters do you guys/gals run when
>you are very close to something like RF hell on 6m ?  Perhaps it is time to
>get to the country.
>
>   I get up to the high county in Northern Ca when the snow melts.  I am now
>getting good reports from my homemade copper folded dipoles 2m/6m. Beams
>work better, and I am working on a portable version that may be stuffed into
>a pvc pipe for transport.  This stuff seems to be addicting.  Perhaps, the
>black flies will be gone when I get back to the high country.  They were
>very nasty a month ago.  Well, thanks again for your input, I am learning
>quite a lot.
>
>  Thank you for your comments and recommendations, Dave, NC6P.

73, Robert KR7O/YB2ARO, DM07ba/OI52ee  (ex.  N7STU)
kr7o@vhfdx.com

www.vhfdx.com (KR7O/YB2ARO homepages)