Re: [VHFcontesting] Joel W5ZN ARRL President to speak at banquet!Microwa

To: Alex <kr1st@amsat.org>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Joel W5ZN ARRL President to speak at banquet!Microwave Update 2006
From: "Brian McCarthy" <rfacres@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 09:08:00 -0400
No, I believe Joel is spot on the money with the title. A prime example
would be the painful and violent arguments about digital versus CW/SSB EME
contacts ona different reflector. The most heated portions have been in
regards to awards and contests. To witness some of those "discussions", the
rhetoric rivals current world religious clashes. Another example is the
similar painful talk that has occurred here on this reflector in regards to
using a modified form of APRS-packet to make and coordinate VHF contesting
contacts. There are significant examples in other facets of amateur radio,
these just happen to be on-topic for this list.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not restart the discussions here and now. They are
just recent examples of technology applied in new ways that have
precipitated heated disagreements.

I am sorry I will be missing the talk, especially if there is a question and
answer or group discussion at the end. I would love to hear a recording of
it.

...now where did I put my flame suit...

Cheers,
Brian