Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover behavior: How about trying to address"it" with

To: <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover behavior: How about trying to address"it" withOUT having to define "it"?
From: "Bruce Richardson" <w9fz@w9fz.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 19:00:14 -0600
Hi John K9JK/R and Dan K9ZF/R

>> #1. - QSOs with Rovers only worth ONE point each (regardless of
band).

>Yuck.  This would be the death of Roving, and likely VHF
contesting with it.

>> #2. - MY interpretation of what was in one of Frank, K3UHF's
>> postings..."Another solution is to only count the grid when
working a
>> repeated rover and not the points. This forces other contacts."
>>
>I don't like this one either.  I've never grid circled, why give
me a
>penalty?

Dan, I know your initial reaction is "yuck" and "I don't like
this".  But hold the phone!  John, I think you are headed in the
right direction. You talk about methodologies.  I used to talk
about (back in the first Rover debate over 10 years ago) about how
scoring reinforces different behaviors. I guess we are discussing
the same thing.

John, I like the direction you are headed seeking scoring schemes
(methodologies) that elicit the behavior we want.  Along those
lines, I used to LOVE the way grid multipliers were scored for
rovers the first time. I feel it was a strong motivator for the
behavior I was displaying--driving further to activate additional
"rare" grids.  My memory is that the grid multiplier methodology
was changed thinking it would impact club scoring in the way they
wanted it to.  Well it backfired and changed rovers behaviors.

So Dan, while I'm not sure the two methodologies offered by John
are the ones, I'm convinced that some different methodology would
be better for the health of the hobby in the long run AND we'd get
used to the scoring magnitudes and not interpret them as
punishment.

(Separate Topic:  Here is one rover asking/begging that we allow
digipeted APRS--I can't see a downside--only an upside)

Let's keep looking at methodologies and see what behaviors they
would reinforce.

more later...
Bruce Richardson W9FZ/R

Thanks for coming to the CSVHFS Conference in Bloomington!