[VHFcontesting] FN55 this contest

To: VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] FN55 this contest
From: Paul N1BUG <paul_n1bug@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 18:53:56 -0500
Good luck to all in the upcoming contest!

The short version is I expect to be on 144 and 222 as usual. No 6
meters... MAYBE some 432.

The long version:

I suspect it will come as no great surprise that things are not
quite up to speed at this station <grin>. The good news is the 6
meter antenna is in its new home at 100 feet up. The bad news? It is
fixed toward the northwest and cannot be rotated. The direction was
chosen to mitigate any potential for wind damage to the antenna or
rotator before it becomes fully operational. I would hate to have it
ripped up before I get to use it! This may have been a good decision
as we had a vicious wind storm a few weeks after the antenna went up
(October). It was the highest wind I have ever seen at this QTH. I
lost several large trees, including one that very nearly missed
bringing down the 80 foot tower! Whew! I'm not quite sure when the 6
meter project will get completed... I would guess a year, maybe two.

144 and 222 are working well, although I do have some problems with
power line noise lately (ever since that violent wind storm). Look
for me on those bands!

I had hoped to try 432 with the 8 yagi EME array this time, but may
not bother. Murphy dropped by and kindly busted the azimuth
indicator so I can't accurately aim the array. It probably wouldn't
work too well for contesting anyway, being at very low height
surrounded by trees and other antenna structures.

Despite appearances, I actually am making progress with the station.
These two towers (80 feet and 100 feet) are a long time dream come
true! There may yet come a contest when all four bands are playing well!

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf