Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF Activity

To: Eric NM5M <nm5m@aol.com>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF Activity
From: John Geiger <johngeig@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:36:55 -0800 (PST)
--- Eric NM5M <nm5m@aol.com> wrote:

> Hams across the country whine about the lack of
> activity on the VHF and UHF bands by new hams.  If
> you want to increase activity it's quite simple just
> do the following:
>
> 1. Make presentations to local clubs introducing
> this aspect of the hobby to prospective amateurs
> (who cares if they have been licensed 30 minutes or
> 50 years as long as they get on the air)

Tried that with limited success.  There is alot of
misinformation about the VHF/UHF bands to overcome.
Many people could care less about operating at all,
except for emergency or chasing storms.  Those things
are important, but it is unlikely that we will ever
interest those individuals in weak signal work.  Still
it is worth a shot.

> 2.  Stop listening 24/7 to 144.200 and make some
> noise.  Activity creates activity.

Good point.  It is called the calling frequency, not
the listening frequency.  Absolutely nothing wrong
with making CQs on 144.200.

> 3.  Make local or regional operating activities to
> stimulate activity, I can tell you from personal
> experience this does wonders to get folks on the VHF
> bands.

Tried this locally with nets, operating awards, etc.
Really didn't work.  Not sure why, but it didn't.

 4.  Educate old and new hams on how to get on the
> VHF and above bands with indoor or hidden antennas
> as most live in deed restricted areas and believe
> that it takes a ton of steel and aluminum to enjoy
> those bands.

Good point. Indoor antennas can be very effective on
6m.  Got a VUCC with one.  Any antenna is better than
no antenna, but also be truthful in presenting antenna
theory and construction.  A directional antenna with
gain will outperform an omnidirectional antenna with
no gain.  Encourage yagis, even small ones, if
possible.  Definitely point out that horizontal
polarization is needed at 2m and above.  Either
polarization will work on 6m during Es openings, but
for longer local work during flat conditions, you also
want horizontal polarization.

73s john W5TD