Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF Activity

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF Activity
From: Brent Casavant <b.j.casavant@ieee.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 01:28:08 -0600 (CST)
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Eric NM5M wrote:

> 3.  Make local or regional operating activities to stimulate
> activity, I can tell you from personal experience this does wonders to
> get folks on the VHF bands.

3b. Invite a non-ham to join you for an hour or two of a VHF+ contest.
    Show them how the contest works (in action) for 15-30 minutes,
    without any jargon beyond "radio", "antenna", "frequency", "dial"
    "rotate", and "microphone".  As you make contacts, you can explain
    the concepts of "band" and "grid square".  For heavens sake don't
    try explaining feedline loss, tropospheric ducting, E skip, sunspots,
    polarization, CW, QSO points, impedance matching, or transverters.
    But do answer their questions as they come up, as simply as possible
    without pandering.

    Then let _them_ take the mic for a while, while you listen along,
    helping them over the rough spots, and doing the logging.  Resist
    the temptation to grab the mic yourself "to help them out", but
    just calmly tell them what to say next.  They'll catch on.
    Don't sweat a busted contact.  Just make sure the transmissions
    are legal and let them make the exchange.

That's what got me into the hobby.  I can honestly say those were
the most exciting moments of my ham lifetime.  During the second
contest I was invited to (Jan '98 ARRL VHF), without a license they
put me to work under a ham's supervision, and I spent the entire night
with them, even sleeping on the floor next to the station.  I took the
bait and chomped down hard -- I was well and truly hooked. :)

Oh, and while you can do this several different ways, the least
intimidating/confusing is probably with a Limited Multi effort.

Brent, KD5EMB