Re: [VHFcontesting] CQ-VHF Rule

To: John Lindholm <w1xx@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] CQ-VHF Rule
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:54:10 -0500 (CDT)
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, John Lindholm wrote:

> There seems to be more ink devoted to the "connected by wires" rule for
> CQWW VHF than it's worth.  But let's address the subject.
>
> First, the rule pre-dates my taking over directorship of the contest.
> But that does not relieve my responsibility of interpretation.  Bill
> Fisher's [W4GRW] $.02 worth seemed to hit the nail on the head with
> further amplification by Kenny [K2KW].to prohibit remote
> transmitters/receivers from being placed in every grid square and
> controlled from a single location.  A check with the CQWW contest
> hierarchy confirms that the rule has been in existence for at least 15
> years as applied to the "family" of CQWW contests and never been
> questioned previously.  The first part of the rule re the  500 meter
> diameter circle actually should suffice but the "wires" extension of the
> rules was intended to make sure it's intent was not violated by a
> Philadelphia lawyer.

I find that amazingly forward-thinking!  We didn't have the technology we
have today to bring that off.  Also, we've been having discussions on the
cq-contest reflector about the same subject on HF.  I think the concensus
is that it would be OK to operate ONE remote station as your ONLY station
if you're going to go that route. I myself prefer operating VHF+ contests
as a portable station and in a few cases I've enjoyed being a Rover,
although my vehicle isn't really an optimum Rovermobile.

> Interestingly, K9JK may have a good suggestion:  including "antennas" in
> the 500 meter definition would obviate any need to mention "wires."
>
> I also note that Dex in the original inquiry did not propose a specific
> scenario in which he proposes to transfer RF from the transmitter to the
> antenna without wires.  CQ-VHF is always open to innovation and should
> there be a proposal that meets the higher good of the contest, we'd be
> happy to entertain any such suggestion.

I still think waveguide is a great idea! For 50 MHz it would only have to
be about 3 meters wide. :-)

> And, of course, someone has already clarified the situation of making a
> QSO with the coax disconnected.  Obviously, this still constitutes using
> an antenna, albeit a rather poor one, perhaps even an SO239.
>
> I once did a "Product Review" for what I think was the first through the
> glass 2-meter mobile induction antenna.  QSOs made with such an antenna
> would not count in the contest [that's a joke!!!].
>
> While on the subject of CQ-VHF, the contest is this weekend.  Nearly 300
> certificates for 2006 were recently mailed.that's almost as many log
> entries as we had just a couple of years ago.  USA rovers please note
> that certificates are now awarded on a regional basis, resulting in more
> certificates issued.  Good luck in the contest.  73!!
>
> -- John, W1XX, CQ WW VHF Contest Director

I just received a certificate for last year's contest.  I really didn't
expect that but guess I did better as a Rover than I expected, too.
Thanks John!

I hope to make it on as a Hilltopper this year, probably Saturday evening.

73, Zack W9SZ