[VHFcontesting] Alternates to Pneumatic Masts and 13 ft. Limit

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Alternates to Pneumatic Masts and 13 ft. Limit
From: "N8UM" <n8um@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 20:06:13 -0400
I use the class III receiver hitch on the rear of my Astro Van to create a 26
ft high foldover tower with all antennas deployed.  Clearance is just over 10
ft.  I have 7 nuts or hose clamps that must be removed and the antenna cranks
up (folds up) to a vertical position.  I use 2 common RV screw jacks to level
the mast.  If the van is not parked level in one plane, I drive the front or
rear wheels up on  2 x 8 chocks (again like an RVer).  See pictures at
http://www.chuckmartin.com/VHFContest2003.htm (scroll down to end of page).  It
travels extremely well and is very quiet.  It is not a bullet proof foul
weather setup and you must be sensitive to high winds.  I have been rear ended
the week before the June contest with minimal damage to the antenna (bent the
frame on the vehicle).  I have used this configuration for 4 years.  It also
solves the problem of rotator coax loops in that the LMR-600 and LD4F justs
droops off the mast and snakes into the Bird elements in the van.
  Most coax runs are less than 30 ft.

I credit Brian, ND3F,  with encouraging me to build this elegantly simple
setup.  I became convinced of the foldover approach after riding shotgun with
him in the 10ghz test.

Astros are the perfect rover vehicle.  I have owned three.  The first one (23
yrs old) with 240,000 + miles is still in service as part of the K4EJQ/WB4WEN
mega microwave caravan (MMC).  Rip out the front passenger seat and remove the
2 rear benches and there is room for a multi multi plus sleeping room.  Put the
operating console where the front passenger seat was and access the rear of the
operating table from the front passenger door.  Ultimate convenience (if you
are not operating with 2 persons).

I plan to be out Sunday morning in the mountains.  Temps will still be in the
90's but the humidity should be down.  New Hepburn 12 hour forecast looks very
useful.

John B.  N8UM Oak Ridge, Tennessee