Re: [VHFcontesting] Brain pickin time

To: "Mike (KA5CVH) Urich" <ka5cvh@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Brain pickin time
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 14:32:52 -0700
On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 03:11:07PM -0500, Mike (KA5CVH) Urich wrote:
> I have a question that I'm sure will result in a multitude of answers,
> hopefully all good and all right to some degree.
>
> The question is.
>
> You are thinking about assembling a four band 50 /144 / 222 /432
> portable contesting station and you are considering using identical HF
> rigs for the IF, with DEMI transverters and seperate amplifiers on all
> four band which one would you choose?
>
> Factors,
>
> 1) Cost obviously
> 2) Learning curve for team members (KISS) this is why four identical
> HF / IF radios.
> 3) Good performance in hostile environment.

For new radios, the Elecraft K2.

You can buy/build the QRP version of the radio (no need for 100W on HF),
and depending on the options you get, it will be under $1000/radio, smaller
form factor, supports direct VHF frequency display, excellent performance,
and runs on DC power.

For used radios, I might look at something like a Kenwood TS-850SAT (older,
but quite respectable) or something in the Yaesu FT-1000MP family (more
expensive, larger).

> --
> Mike Urich, KA5CVH
>
> http://www.gohunter08.com