[VHFcontesting] 6M Sprint UTC Time Question

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 6M Sprint UTC Time Question
From: R Johnson <k1vu@tmlp.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 17:38:36 -0400
I had one of the new Hams in our club express an interest in working 6M.
I suggested that he try the 6M Sprint to get his feet wet and told him
not to expect many QSO's except a few locals.

I had him print and read the rules, make up a log sheet, and set a clock to UTC.

While he was listening to "dead air" on his dipole he re-read the rules to kill
time.

Couple of day later he asked me a question I couldn't answer.

The question is: If all the other Sprints run from 7 PM to 11 PM local time,
how come
the 6M Sprint runs from 2300Z to 0300Z. He figured out that the West Coast was
starting
at 4 PM local time while he was starting at 7 PM local time, giving the West
Coast a 3hr
daylight advantage over the East Coast.

I figure is he was smart enough to ask the question, he deserves a fair answer.
"Just because that's the way rules are" didn't seem quite good enough !!!

TNX es 73
Bob, K1VU

BTW: He made 1 QSO and is looking forward to the JAN VHF Contest. I think he's
hooked.