[VHFcontesting] Who's driving that rover?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Who's driving that rover?
From: k4gun@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 04:49:17 +0000
I know... I'm asking a lot of questions for a guy who just signed up on this
list.  I'm new and this seems like the place with the most infored opinions
about what I'm trying to learn.

My latest question has to do with driving.  Here is the text of the rules from
the ARRL:

2.3. Rover: A rover is comprised of no more than two operators that moves among
two or more grid squares during the course of a contest. An operator may
perform any or all rover functions, but a driver's function shall be limited to
driving the vehicle. Drivers may be switched out during the event. Any number
of observers is also allowed, however observers may not perform any rover
function at any time. Rover vehicles with only one occupant are allowed to
perform all functions listed above.

Explain to me, what that means.  If I have another person in the vehicle and
the vehicle is in motion, is the driver not allowed to do anything other than
drive the vehicle?  That seems a bit silly to me, especially when it looks like
a person driving alone is allowed to not only tune and talk, but also to log.
A person with a navigator could quite easily operate a radio on one band
without much danger if he didn't have to also log the contacts.

Does this literally mean that if I plan on operating while moving, I either
have to leave all duties to the person in the passenger seat or leave the
passenger at home and assume all duties, including logging?  Does anybody
actually do this?  I'm just curious and want to start out doing this the right
way.

Steve
K4GUN