Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] 160m VHF SS Warmup Strategy

To: Stanford VHF email Remailer <VHF@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] 160m VHF SS Warmup Strategy
From: Paul N1BUG <paul_n1bug@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:39:38 -0500
I totally agree about CW being a must for VHF+ weak signal work -
and contesting. I have made many a VHF+ contact using CW that would
not have been possible otherwise. I would like to add one thing I
haven't seen mentioned. If 5 to 10 WPM is what you can manage, then
by all means USE IT and make contacts. But still strive to increase
your speed. Given the often brief signal peaks on VHF+ bands,
sometimes a station will fade away before a contact can be completed
at slow speeds. As your CW proficiency and speed increases, you will
find you can make more contacts, taking advantage of momentary
signal peaks.

I miss VHF+ operation and hope to see many old friends in the Stew
Perry. Now you know where I went when I left VHF+. I will slow down
for anyone who calls me at significantly slower speed than I am
sending, or anyone who sends 'QRS' or to call anyone who is
operating at slow speeds when I am doing search & pounce!

73,
Paul N1BUG