[VHFcontesting] Another rookie question

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Another rookie question
From: k4gun@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 04:07:12 +0000
Before I even start, I have to say that I am really happy to have found this
resource.  You guys are a treasure trove of good information and I appreciate
the responses I have seen here.  I'm a new guy and this list has really taught
me more than I expected.  I've spent a good amount of time browsing the
archives here.

My next query has to do with running a frequency.  In reading roving plans from
previous contests, I see that most rovers pick a frequency before the contest
and list that as the place to find them.  Obviously a rover can't spend his
entire time running and will do a mix of search and pounce as well, but I see
the value in people knowing a rough idea as to where on the band to find you.
My question is, how does one decide this ahead of time?  Is it just a random
stab at a point on the dial?  Is there a method to it?  Is there an established
protocol for this of which I need to be aware?

As long as I'm on this topic, is it common practice for a rover to run on a
frequency immediately upon setting up and then switching to search and pounce
once he's worked everybody who can hear him?  That would seem to make sense to
me, but I'd like to hear a general plan on how to do this.  Along with that, I
realize that its probably best to actually be in position at the time you have
listed on your plans.  I would assume one would start on 2 meters and work up
or down from there as conditions warrant.

Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions on this.

Steve
K4GUN