[VHFcontesting] Rookie Rover Queries

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Rookie Rover Queries
From: James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 16:31:20 -0700
Steve - I have roved twice, so I am far from an expert. I have
operated with 2 bands, 2M and 6M. Also I rove here in the great
American Southwest. Activity is low, there are typically 10 - 12
stations within range, a couple of serious multi stations, a couple
of serious single op high power stations, a couple of serious low
power single op stations and the rest, casual operators. There may
occasionally be another rover in range, but that is rare. We have one
major population area, Albuquerque, with significant VHF activity.

But here is what I have learned to do in my brief career as a rover.

Due to the low population density here, there is little problem using
the calling frequency. Stations sort of take turns using it. When
someone new shows up, everybody works them. I realize that this is
different in other parts of the country. When someone else is using
the calling frequency, I move up 3 kHz or 8 Khz and call. People tend
to QSY in 5 kHz increments, and that avoids unintentional QRM.

When I get to a new grid, I usually get on 2M and point the antenna
at Albuquerque, or a nearby high power station, or one of the multi
op stations and call CQ on the 2M calling frequency. This usually
elicits several responses. I work whoever is on frequency and then
move them all to 6M. There are several ops with 6M only and I usually
pick up a few more after I work those I moved from 2. I try to shame
the 6M only ops into adding other bands for the next contest,
particularly if I am operating from a grid they need. I may move
someone from 6M to 2M if I haven't worked them there.

If I have missed someone during this process that I know is usually
on, like one of the Multi stations or high power single ops, I point
the antenna at them and call.

Then I "box the compass" and point the antenna at 45 degree
increments and call CQ. I start at North, go to NE, then E, then SE,
and so on. I do this for a few minutes at each compass point. I
usually pick up a station or two this way I haven't already worked.

Then I return to 2M, point the antenna at a major population area and
call CQ again. I repeat on 6M.

Then I go back to boxing the compass, but call in CW this time. A
memory keyer with beacon mode helps here.

By now, probably more than an hour has passed and it is time to think
about moving on. I check the log to see if I missed anybody that I
would normally work, point the antenna in that direction and call
them. Then I tear down and move on.

All this assumes that 6M isn't open. If it is, I concentrate on 6,
with calls on the 2M calling frequency at the beginning and end of
stop, and maybe when 6 slows down. If I haven't worked a local I
expect to work, I will look for them on 6M, work them and then try to
move them to 2M. Depending on how good the 6M opening is, this has
mixed success.

It is important to get on at the beginning of the contest. Most
people will be on then. If they know that there is a rover on, they
will try to come back and work you from other grids. Otherwise they
might just get on, work a few locals and go QRT for the rest of the
contest not knowing that there will be fresh meat to work at other
times in the contest. Tell people where you will be when. Do this at
each stop.

Be sure to always to sign -Rover (/R) on CW), so people know that
they can work you again from a different grid.

Always ask people if they have a other bands and move them if
possible. Even an FM contact on a HT will count.

If you can't raise a station on SSB try CW. It is worth 10 dB or so.

I hope that your rove will be successful. I find it one of the most
rewarding ham radio activities I participate in. - Duffey
--
James Duffey KK6MC/5
Cedar Crest NM 87008