Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 FM in January

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 FM in January
From: Tom Carney <tomc@carneysugai.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 16:24:43 -0800
k4gun@comcast.net wrote:
> Because I have concentrated on getting my rover rig ready for the 3 easy
> bands (6, 2 and 432),
> have ignored 222 up to this point.  I plan on getting that band up and ready
> by June but for now,
> the weak signal work will be on the other three.
> For some reason, I had forgotten that my Yaesu VX6 has the 222 band.  Yes,
> its only FM and I don't imagine it can get very far, but I guess it couldn't
> hurt to bring it along in January.  If I can manage just a handful of
> contacts in 5 to 7 grids (I'll be activating 10 in the contest), I figure it
> will be all gravy.

> So if you're in Richmond, Virginia Beach, Eastern Shore of MD/VA, Annapolis
> or the metro Washington DC area, keep your old HT handy and tuned to 223.500.
>  Who knows... that could be the multiplier that puts you over the top.

> Steve
> K4GUN

Can't speak for the FM activity in your area but out here in
Northern/Central CA there is considerable 223.5 activity during VHF
contest.  I added an old Midland xtal controlled rig to my rover station
about four years ago.  It worked but not well.  Later got an ADI-247.
Just using a 5/8 wave mag mount. I usually pick up seven to ten
multipliers and 12/15 Qs.

Last Sept I also had SSB on 222.  Contacts were about split between the
modes.

If you have a driver and will be operating in motion, I'd recommend an
external antenna of some kind.  If you only operate while stopped, it
may not be worth the trouble.

73,

Tom  K6EU aka K6EU/r