Re: [VHFcontesting] [PNWVHFS] Re: January Sweepstakes deKB7DQH/Rover (Un

To: w7my@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [PNWVHFS] Re: January Sweepstakes deKB7DQH/Rover (Unlimited, Multioperator)
From: kb7dqh@donobi.net
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:59:36 -0800 (PST)
Trick is verifying this so as to prevent "cheating"...  K3UHF wondered why
we didn't deploy someone with a portable... then I realized that Multiops
can work their own members on 2.3 and above... Shoulda brought the "spare"
transverters for 3456 and 10368 along... we could have "activated" those
QSO-vacant grids within the current rule structure, I believe...

HOWEVER... the QSO-vacant grids, although "rare" are rare for a reason!
Observed populations are minimal... so likely few, if any, hams present!

Also, topography puts them in locations not workable from population
centers on E-skip, and Tropo generally don't go that far, or there's too
much "vertical dirt" in the way...  Here is where Meteors and the Moon can
help out...

Down along the coast, we heard VE7DAY on meteors from at least 3 grids,
and KI7JA's callsign once in CN80.

Although the Enterprise II is not currently EME capable, the addition of
some big QRO and large antenna arrays on a trailer could make some things
happen.

In the interim, the JT digital modes may be of importance in stretching
the Tropo under these conditions.

Failing that, "seeding" these areas with portable stations, even lightly
equipped, like when I first got into VHF work, would be of great help.

Otherwise, building EME capable arrays for serious Tropo work might be an
option for those who don't want to leave the comparative comfort of their
"home" hamshack.

Wonder how many PNWVHFS members have some sort of "recreational vehicle"
at their disposal, but have not equipped it for Ham radio???
I will include tent trailers in this discussion, as the newer ones have
pretty decently insulated walls and would remain comfortable with the
addition of heat.

Bear in mind, I used to operate portable for the January VHF test on
mountains  in my VW Bus, when I only had two or three bands.  The 4KW
genset made more electricity for heat than the radios!  But I stayed warm,
dry, and had lots of fun!

Eric
KB7DQH