Re: [VHFcontesting] transverter questions

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] transverter questions
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 08:38:43 -0600 (CST)
Since I'm into building my own equipment, I made the W1VT 222 MHz
transverter that appeared in QEX some years ago.  The patterns for the pc
boards are on the ARRL website.

It uses identical boards for transmit and receive, which are configured
differently and according to what you want to do.  The neat thing about
the design is that you can swap out and try different MMIC's for better
performance.  The Sirenza SGA4586 is a great choice for the front-end
amplifier.

It also uses a separate board for the LO which is the same physical size
as the xmit/rcv boards. All boards use hairpin filters resonated with
capacitors.

I've gotten a lot of QSO's with mine.  It's an excellent performer. I
added an M67712 module which gives me 10-20 watts out depending on drive
level.

73, Zack W9SZ