Re: [VHFcontesting] transverter questions

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] transverter questions
From: "Eugene Zimmerman" <ezimmerm@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 11:50:29 -0500
I think Marshall's post says it all.

You can't go wrong with either transverter. I reviewed the 2 meter Elecraft
and the 50 watt version of the DEM 2 meter transverter for QST. There was
very little difference in the measured receiver performance at the ARRL lab.
>From an empirical standpoint, both met and exceeded my 'homeboy' test:
ability to withstand the local signals generated by 1 kw output to a
reasonably large single yagi from K8ISK [20 miles distance but location
visible from the top of my tower] and K1RZ [9.9 miles distant and you all
know how loud he is]. Weak signals could be copied within 5 KHz of either
station and at 10 KHz you basically did not know they were there. The IF
strip was an FT1000MP with an IRC roofing filter but stock IF filters at 8
Mhz and 455 KHz.

The Elecraft has the best universal interface system I have ever seen. It
will handle ~-10 dBm to 5 watts by changing jumpers inside. With DEM if you
tell Steve what your IF strip is, he will generate a custom solution that
works first time every time for you. The DEM gives you the option of 50
watts which as Marshall says means no intermediate brick driver. However if
20 watts is sufficient for your driving needs, the Elecraft works just fine.
In my case I needed 50 watts to drive my 8877 and I actually bought the test
DEM transverter but I would have been hard pressed to decide which one I
wanted if 20 watts had been enough.

Finally I think both companies have outstanding service and support. As Bill
says, Steve is one of us and he goes the extra mile and more for his
customers. However I recently bought an Elecraft K3 and I have been
impressed with their technical support. Except when you deal with an owner -
like Steve - when is the last time you spoke or Emailed with a highly
intelligent tech support person?  Elecraft's are and then some.

Neither of these was a 222 MHz unit but I would be willing to bet a fine
dinner in central Maine that their 222 transverters work as well as their 2
meter units.

73  Gene  W3ZZ
World Above 50 MHz
FM19jd  MD