Re: [VHFcontesting] LoTW for Rovers

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] LoTW for Rovers
From: "Richard Clem" <clem.law@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 22:45:03 -0600
I just uploaded a bunch of logs for my modest rover efforts.

After I received a certificate for W0IS (which requires the postcard), I then
requested a certificate for W0IS/R.  I signed that request with the W0IS
certificate and then uploaded the request.  The next day, they e-mailed me the
W0IS/R certificate.

After you have the certificates installed, you need to assign locations on
your own computer.  Each location is associated with one call sign.  So even
though I had EN34 for W0IS, I had to add the new location of EN34 for W0IS/R.

For grids lying in more than one state, I just left the state blank.  If I was
more ambitious, I would have made one certificate for EN35 Minnesota, and
another one for EN34 Wisconsin.  For grids lying entirely in one state, then I
went ahead and marked the state.

Then, I took my Cabrillo files and deleted everything that wasn't in one
particular grid.  So first, I deleted all of the lines where I wasn't in EN34.
 I just used notepad to edit it, and I didn't bother changing any of the
preliminary lines.  I then uploaded that file using the EN34 location.  Then,
I took the original log and deleted everything that wasn't EN35, and uploaded
that using the EN35 location.

For QSO's at my home QTH, in addition to using the W0IS/R certificate, I also
uploaded them using the W0IS certificate.  This way, I figure I'll pick up
anyone who didn't log the /R.  I didn't bother doing that for all grids,
though.  I did notice that I got a few QSL's with W0IS/R, but none with W0IS,
so it looks like most log it with the /R callsign.

The whole process is a bit convoluted, but it probably won't be too difficult
to do this for a single contest.  Overall, it's not really more difficult than
uploading a single log to the contest robot--you just have to repeat the
process for each grid.

Interestingly, I noticed that I got a lot more QSL's in Wisconsin and Illinois
than I did in Minnesota.

I hope that's helpful!

73,
Rick W0IS