[VHFcontesting] 6 meter antenna heights (LONG )

To: <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 6 meter antenna heights (LONG )
From: "Gregg Seidl" <k9kl@centurytel.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 08:17:01 -0600
Very interesting reading!In 2006 I installed a pair of M2 6M-7JHV's
controlled by a Comtek stack match box.I have one at 62 feet and one at 38
feet.It is VERY interesting to be able to switch between the two during an
opening and record the which antenna does what and at what
distance,propagation mode and my general "feeling" of how the band is.I've
been writing this down during most non-contest openings that I've been on
the air for.
    My findings are as such; for short what I call no opening QSO's or more
likely ground wave under 200 miles the higher antenna is ALWAYS
better.....by a bunch.Sometimes the other station is NOT even readable on
the lower antenna.
    For what I call the "skip zone" meaning 200-400 miles where E skip could
happen but doesn't normally support those distances unless the Sporadic E
cloud is very strong and 2 might be open,its 60-40 to the top antenna.From
my records and seat of the pants,I've noted that it seems to be related to
if the opening is just starting or if it is ending.It also seems to be area
related too.If the opening is toward W4 it's more like 40-60 with the bottom
antenna being better.If its toward AZ,NM,CO and that area it even more
tilted toward the top antenna.I haven't been able to REALLY determine if
that is just because of my normal operating time,which is about the same all
the time or if it really is related to area.
    For true E skip in that 400-1000 miles,BOTH are nearly always better.I
think there is really no such thing as signal fading,rather I think that the
angle of arrival is merely changing.Because most antennas have a null in
their vertical pattern as well as horizontal pattern we think of it as
fading.With 2 antennas one can "cover" all angles better.I have noticed a
drop in faded signals running 2 antennas as opposed to 1 antenna.It really
doesn't seem to matter area or time of day or whether the opening is
starting or finishing,both are 90% better then either one.The other 8% the
lower one is better but that is only for the closer in stuff,more like
400-500 miles.I can't figure that one out.Anyone got any ideas??
    Past 1000-1200 miles is REALLY weird.Sometimes both are better,sometimes
bottom is better and sometimes top.I haven't been ablemake enough QSO's to
REALLY understand that one.From EN64ck there isn't a lot of stations for me
to work so my records are fairly empty at that range.Just when I think I've
been able to think I know which one will be best,it throws me a curve ball
and my idea gets all messed up!I really wish I could work 100-200 stations
at that distance during the course of an E-skip season.Not going to happen
though!!
    1200 miles and farther the top is 95% better.If the DX is coming in I
just switch to the top antenna.There is no need to switch between the
2.Again my QSO numbers are limited at that range.
    I plan on recording this info for several years and then publish it
somewhere so everyone can see.

I may change the heights this year however,I have found that for DX 62 feet
is not high enough.I might move them to another tower.They would be 38 feet
and 85 feet.I have also thought about going to a 3 stack at 38,62 and 85
feet.If I would do that my data would still be valid and I could add more
data about the distances that the higher antenna is better.Plus I could add
which 2 are better because the Array Solutuions box allows yoou to select
which 2 you want.
    To that note,if you hear me working an E-skip opening and I'm asking the
other station where they are,as in which city please understand that.I know
I'm in kind of a rare grid square and I'm trying to work everyone but I
enjoy doing this research.Just hang tight and hopefully I'll work you too
and be able to your callsign to my data.I have over a 1000 in my data
now,not all different callsigns but different times.

    My station consists of an Icom IC-7800 to an Icom IC-PW1 amp running
1000 watts into 70 feet of 7/8th's Heliax to the Comtek Stack-Match box.27
feet of LMR-600UF conect the stack box to the antennas.The bottom antenna is
mounted on an IIX "swinging gate" that turns from 300 degrees thru 0 degrees
to 175 or so degrees.The top turns every way.I have nothing in the path of
the antennas.The antennas again are 6M-7JHV's.

    If anyone has an Array Solutions 3 stack box made for 6 meters that they
no longer need please let me know.Same for a NIB 6M-7JHV antenna. Thanks for
reading my ramblings,I thought someone might be interested in this.Comments
always welcome......Gregg K9KL