Re: [VHFcontesting] A question of altitude

To: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A question of altitude
From: Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 13:18:05 -0700
David Olean wrote:

> champ, and you will have plenty of fun. My comments are geared to the
> lunatic fringe rovers trying to make 300 mile plus contacts on tropo
> scatter under dead band conditions. Don't feel that if you can't get
> your antenna up 35 ft you must stay home!! The important thing is to to
> just go out and do it.
>
> Dave K1WHS

Great comments on the 6m rover antennas Dave.

I waver from wanting to spend the time and effort to be on the lunatic
fringe, and wanting to install a Barcolounger at home and a giant tower,
and let someone else do the roving!

But of course, that's how we end up not having any rovers... so I'll
keep going out!  It's too much fun.

I forgot you guys were up in Maine.  Did you see the terrestrial 2m list
that went around the lists here in the last few weeks?  N0LL needs Maine
really badly to be probably one of the only operators this far West to
have worked that difficult to attain goal.

You guys should point his way and him your way and try like crazy to get
that done... it'd be really neat to see him get it!!

(I have no say in what anyone does, but Maine is what he needs to finish
up, and I bet he'd be overjoyed to finish, if the conditions would ever
cooperate!  What I really want to know, but haven't had time to ask
is... how the heck did he ever work anyone in Rhode Island?!  GRIN...)

Smith Center, KS to Maine... you guys up for it?  :-)

Great ideas/info on the 6m rover applications... I don't think I'll have
anything as high as we've been discussing here for a while, but driving
through Wyoming and Nebraska brings it's own 3dB of gain... hahaha...
people WANT those places!  (GRIN)

Now I'll have to add the Rocky Mtn VHF+ list to this e-mail chain, but I
know you're not on that list.  (RMVHF+ <rmvhf@rmvhf.org> and
http://www.rmvhf.org)

If you want to coordinate with any of us screwballs out here in the
West, it's a great place to join up and say hi.  We're all "monitoring"
there.

Folks in Colorado, Kansas, Utah, New Mexico, and who knows where else on
there.  We have a good time lamenting contests where the bands don't
open and we're all here on our little Western States "island" of few
operators!  (GRIN)  But we have a good time!

Typically we have about 20-30 check-ins any given Monday night at 8PM
Mountain Time on 144.220... not too shabby for activity out here right
now!  VHF+ weak signal is on the rise for interested people out here...

Anyone on vhfcontesting@contesting.com wants to come over and try to set
up crazy off-contest skeds... WSJT/Meteor Scatter, tropo openings,
whatever... we're all there... stop on in, grab a cup of coffee, and say
hello.

Nate WY0X