[VHFcontesting] Contesting ethics for rovers

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com (VHF contesting list)
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Contesting ethics for rovers
From: k4gun@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 20:00:58 +0000
I'm not sure if this is a question, a statement or just musings about contest
ethics.  More than likely, I'll just ramble on about it but I would like some
feedback from the VHF contesting group as I really respect the opinions I see
from this list.

My girlfriend is working on getting her ticket.  I'm quite proud of her for
doing this.  She also wants to join me in the rover for the June contest.  I
thought that would be a great way for her to see what all the fun is about.

Then, I started thinking about how this could benefit me and her.  My first
thought was to give her a tri-band HT.  She could make her own contacts and
keep her own log.  Hmmm... but what about letting her have use of the omni
directional antennas while I'm parked and let her use my spare radio which is a
746 Pro.  My thought was that I could work contacts and then let her work them
on her own radio and antennas.

Great idea, right?  Well, aside from the problem that she isn't technically
"family" under the contest family rules as they apply to Rovers, there is
another problem.  The problem is an ethical one.  Working like this, she
probably wouldn't accumulate a very big score.  She would only be picking up my
left-overs, with one exception.  She and I could work each other on at least 3
bands and probably 4 and we could do this in each grid from which we worked.

At first, I thought this would be a great way to increase my own score.  Under
the "Limited Rover" rules, you are allowed to contact another rover up to 100
times during a contest and having a person with you in the same grid, that
would be an easy limit to stay under but it would give a LOT of multipliers
that I otherwise would not get.

I read the rules and saw the "family rule" exception.  I thought about asking
Sean about the "legality" of her using her own call and riding in my truck.
I'm guessing that if I pushed the matter, I could slide through.  While she is
not exactly "family" in a legal sense, we all know how that definition has been
evolving lately.

I also don't see a lot of difference between this and the grid circling that is
so common.  The only difference is that they travel in separate vehicles.

Then, I had to ask myself why I was contemplating this.  Was it really to help
her get started into radio or contesting?  Did it contribute to helping any
other stations pick up more grids?  Nope.  It accomplished none of that.  It
might mean a few extra contacts for a few stations, but mostly it would benefit
me.  So while I can conjure up all kinds of justifications, I really have to
back up and realize that just because I can, doesn't mean I should.

Does any of this make any sense?  Am I thinking too much?  It wouldn't be the
first time.  I want to stay both within the letter and the spirit of the rules.
 Its that spirit part that brought on the introspection.

Steve
K4GUN