[VHFcontesting] 432 Sprint - K1TEO

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com, vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 432 Sprint - K1TEO
From: wa2teo@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:16:45 -0400
Enjoyed the 432 Sprint despite some unexpected complications. Had 12 QSO's
after 6 minutes. No answers to the next 15 or so CQ's. Hmm. Check the band.
Only hear relative locals and?they are?weak. Check the SWR - very high. Test
coax jumpers in the shack and everything appears o.k.. Thinking I'll shut down
but decide to test one connection outside that had given me problems a few
years ago. Crank down the tower, climb to check the connection from the 7/8th
coax to the rotor loop coax. Sure enough just a few drops of water and some
indication of carbonization - a poor connection. Fix it, crank the tower back
up and a little over an hour later give it another go. Managed to get in a
little over 2 hours and was glad I spent the effort fixing the problem as it
was fun to get on. Not as relaxing as I was hoping, but hey.....?Guess that's
part of what the Sprints are about - checking everything out after the winter
to see what works, hi!

Total was 67 Q's in 29 grids. Down to FM06 (tnx as always K4QI), west to EN90,
91 and 92, and north to FN35 and 44. Tnx to rovers WW1M and VE3CRU for heading
out and to W4SHG and KJ9K for sponsoring the Sprints.

73, Jeff K1TEO