[VHFcontesting] Workplace Violence, XYL Time, and Nothing on but LIDS!

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Workplace Violence, XYL Time, and Nothing on but LIDS!
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 12:04:20 -0500
You experienced VHF types should really write a book. No, not the "Guide to the
Magic Band". I've got that one, and read it cover to cover, twice.

I mean more like a survival guide.

Around 4:30PM CST yesterday, my cell phone started buzzing with constant text
messages, alerting me that the
band was open to the entire world. Unfortunately, I was stuck in an editing
session, trying to finish up some TV commercials reminding folks to be
prepared for emergencies. You know, one of those "Be Ready" things from the
Department of Homeland Security.

I checked my laptop, and saw that six meters was open to some sunny spots, and
also into the Northern part of the US. Then something really dangerous
happened. I noticed that 2 Meters was also open! Mack, N4JH in nearby EM64 was
working folks several states away.

Why won't this editor hurry up? Doesn't he know that I need to rush out to the
mobile station and at least try to work these folks? But no...he just keep
slowly punching keys, like he was moving in slow motion.

Then my good friend Jack, WA5UUD called my cell phone. "Les, the band is wide
open! I just worked Canada on 2 Meters! You gotta get on!".

Murder began to creep into my mind. No one would miss the body. Jared (my
favorite editor) is such a little guy. As the minutes crept by, I imagined that
was missing out on a once in a lifetime opening, never to be repeated. Why had
the God's cursed me like this? What was my sin, my transgression? I'm not
certain about this, but the murder rate may climb during 2 Meter Sporadic E
openings. Someone should check...

At last, 5:30 came, and the last edit was finished. I rushed to my truck and
checked 2 Meters. Yes, there was Jack, WA5UUD working someone that I could
barely hear. I switched to 6 Meters and found pile-ups across the band! Wow!
This wasn't like the other openings that I'd experienced so far in this my
rookie season.
Quickly, I worked K1TR, Ed....then K1RZ, David. I also exceeded the speed limit
by two digits.

Then a big signal from Maine. It was David Olean, K1WHS!! I've got an attic
full of Directive Systems antennas for 6 thru 1.2ghz. I gotta work this guy!
Plus, Maine is a new state for me, and I need FN43 for VUCC. (Ok, in truth, I
need almost all of them...but that's beside the point) He's S9 + 20db. His QSO
finishes and I drop my call in. Nope, he's going back to someone else. Then
another, and another...I'm yelling into the microphone at this point!

Trust me folks, trying to do all this while driving down I-65 at about 90 miles
an hour is tough. Tony Stewart would have been proud of some of the moves I made
racing to get back to my beams! David goes QRT, and I switch back to 2 Meters.
Yep, still some folks working the Northeast. I put out a call or two, but 30
watts
into a KU4AB loop is no match for the other stations calling. Back to 6
Meters...

Another big signal. This time from New York. Good lord, it's N2LID! That's the
problem with six meters during an opening. Nothing on but LIDS! Fortunately
Dave isn't a lid, but in fact, a candidate for the A-1 Operators Club (who,
like the Masons, apparently aren't interesting in having me join.) With amazing
skill, he recognizes my call and asks me to QSY from the calling frequency up
to .155. We move, and he works me, offering some encouragement for the new guy
too! Thanks, Dave...you made me day...even if I did miss most of the opening.

Finally, I arrive home. One look at my XYL's face tells me that this isn't a
good afternoon to rush into the radio room. She's been home all day, working
like crazy and has
a home cooked meal ready. Uh...oh.....

After a lot of talking, and hand holding...I manage to make it out to the
shack. 2 Meters is quiet...and six is fading. Fortunately, the opening lasted
until after 10PM here. I worked a dozen new grids, including lots of big
signals from Minnesota who were all alone on the calling frequency that time of
night.

I'm told that last night's opening was not the "big one" after all---and that I
can expect many such openings in the years to come. But you see, to a new guy
it just seems like I missed out on the chance of a lifetime. Jack, WA5UUD works
stuff that I can't even hear everyday of the week---so if an opening is big
enough to give him a new
country and I missed out on it...well, that's a tough one to swallow.

I wonder if I should tell my co-worker how close he came to cashing in his
chips yesterday? Or if I should risk complaining my to wife that she caused me
to miss out on some new grid squares? Nah...better keep it to myself. The
lessons I learned were simple:

A.) Never work late during May, June, July, or August.
B.) Pay attention to the XYL everyday and try to put some money in the
"affection bank". Someday 2 Meters will be open, and you'll need the credit.
C.) Jack, WA5UUD is a good friend.
D.) Not everyone who folks call a "LID" is one.
E.) Despite the fact that my father was a "Grand Master Mason of the Fourth
Order of the Round Table" or something, the Mason's don't want me as a member.
Apparently neither does the A-1 Operators Club.
F.) "Be Ready" shouldn't mean having an emergency kit. It should mean having a
five element beam, and a 300 watt amp in the truck. Just in case.
G.) VHF is more fun than a ham can stand.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF

Les Rayburn, director
High Noon Film