[VHFcontesting] I Wanna Rocckkkk!!!!!

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] I Wanna Rocckkkk!!!!!
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 12:46:07 -0500
Wow. As Kasey used to say, "The hits just keep on coming!". This morning on 2
meters, I was able to work two new grids square in two new states in about an
hours time. And despite my shaking hands, I have to admit that working Meteor
Scatter using WSJT was about as difficult as my first contacts using PSK-31 on
the HF bands.

As some of you may recall, I hooked up a new SignaLink USB interface to my Icom
IC-910H just prior to the June contest hoping to work some multipliers on WSJT.
I had two successful QSO's just prior to the contest, but neither would be
valid for VUCC credit, as we exchanged a lot of "in progress" information on
the PingJockey chat server during the QSO's.

These were vital to my becoming comfortable with the software though, and I was
grateful for the ops who took the time to help me. As it turned out, I later
worked one of them on 2M Sporadic E during the contest!

This morning, I was flying solo and determined to make at least one "real" QSO
prior to leaving for work. I logged onto the PingJockey server, and asked if
anyone was willing to try a QSO with a "newbie". Thankfully, I got a quick
replay from Ted, W9NHE in EN53 (WI). Ted is a great operator with great sense
of humor...he immediately steered me to a quiet frequency and we started our
contact using FSK441 mode. Within about 15 minutes, our QSO was completed. Most
of the rocks were small, but at least once during the exchange I experienced a
"blue whizzer" boosting signal levels to a very high level and lasting for
several seconds.

That "ping" literally almost startled me out of my chair! After the QSO was
completed, and congratulations were exchanged, "Tip" WA5UFH in EL19 (TX) asked
if I wanted to try a QSO. I was already running late for work, and I've got a
huge pitch due on the 3rd...but ahhhhhh.....it's a new grid on 2 meters! I
can't resist....

Twenty minutes later (very few rocks by then) we completed the QSO, even though
I fumbled the exchanges a couple of times. Thanks to both Ted and Tip for being
patient with me.

So...for guys like me with low power and limited antennas, this mode is a
God-Send. I plan to become a regular on PingJockey, and get up even earlier in
the AM. I'll check for tropo and backscatter on SSB and CW, but failing that,
I'll jump on 144.140 and see what I can find. From now on, I plan to order my
DX "On the Rocks!".

I'm curious about how many serious SSB/CW guys are also on WSJT? It seems like
the percentage may not be that high. Most of local elmers have experimented
with the mode, but none have made more than a handful of contacts and some have
never even tried it. That surprises me, as it virtually guarantees some
propagation on nearly a 24/7 basis.

Man, you guys should really let people know about this VHF/UHF stuff. All the
fun is up here for sure! Whoooo Hhoooo!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF

Les Rayburn, director