[VHFcontesting] QRV 6m again

To: VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] QRV 6m again
From: Paul N1BUG <paul_n1bug@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 16:13:08 -0400
Just a status update for those who may be interested...

The short version is I am now QRV on 6 meters again, though still
have a few issues to sort out. As announced before the Es season got
underway, I intend to be as active as possible, mostly on CW. Yeah,
I know I missed some great openings while sorting things out. I will
  operate the CQ VHF contest, especially if we have decent Es.

The June 10 lightning hit on my tower proved beyond any doubt that
disconnecting stuff is by no means protection from a direct strike
if you have marginal grounds. It is, however, a great way to get big
arcs flying around inside your home! I don't recommend it. A "good"
lightning ground is a LOT more than one or two ground rods, of
course. Point taken! I had minor damage to my home and major damage
to ham gear, other electronics, and appliances.

Insurance won't be paying for any of this, so I expect to be a long
time recovering to "pre event" status. Nevertheless, I will get
there! You all know how hard it is to get rid of BUGs! ;-) My first
priority will be to install PROPER lightning grounds and protection.
I won't feel safe until that is done! When that is complete I will
begin incrementally replacing fried gear.

73, CU on 6,

Paul N1BUG FN55mf