[VHFcontesting] LR - Worth the Effort? But what about the awards?

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] LR - Worth the Effort? But what about the awards?
From: "Alex" <kr1st@amsat.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 16:17:37 -0400
I think the relevancy of an operating class as seen by a contest sponsor is
shown by the awards it offers. For the VHF QSO party my wife and I
participated in as a first time rover, this is all that is offered by the
contest sponsor (from http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2008/june-vhf.html
):

"8.3. Top Rover in each ARRL Division and Canada where significant effort or
competition is evident. (Rover entries are not eligible for single-band
awards.)"

Note that is says "division" and not section. There are lots of operating
awards for single ops and multi ops and even limited multi ops *in each
section*(!), and even single bands awards for them, but there's just one
award in each division for rovers, and rovers can't even compete for single
band awards.

When I look at the states in my division that I have to compete against, I
may as well not even try if we were interested in awards. We'd have to drive
hundreds of miles before we get into an area with some decent elevation and
activity where we could be competitive. Good thing we saw it as a
recreational activity. However, it would be nice if there was a reasonable
way to win some sort of competitive recognition for your efforts when you're
willing to spend many dollars on a sponsored event (who actually is doing
the sponsoring?).

I'd think that the number of awards available for rovers could be easily
expanded to one for each section without breaking the bank (and if it does,
let's talk, I'm sure we can solve that). I understand that a rover can cross
state lines, or section lines but that is no argument in my opinion to not
offer the same opportunities to rovers as they are offered to single, multi
and portable ops. The fact that you are willing to set up well working weak
signal mobile operation should be rewarded, not punished.

The state on the license for the call used by a rover could be used to issue
awards.

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com