[VHFcontesting] Limited Roving - Worth the Effort?

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, Marshall Williams <k5qe@sabinenet.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Limited Roving - Worth the Effort?
From: James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 21:39:48 -0600
Marshall - Good summary of rover techniques for he underpopulated.

It gets done pretty much the same way here. I operate in the stop and
shoot mode, but am getting ready to run and gun. One thing that I have
learned is that if there isn't too much activity at a stop it is best
to pull up stakes and move. So if I haven't worked anyone in a half
hour or so, I pull up stakes and move. And, even if the bands are
open, I don't stay any longer than 2 hours or so. A rover needs to
keep moving. A typical atop is an hour or an hour and a half.

Do you run stacked omnis on 6M? Isn't the stacking distance and
spacing such that the lower one is too low and the upper one ie too
high? I always thought that you wanted the lowest one on the stack to
be a half wave above ground and that half or 5/8th wave spacing is
best. This is doable on 2M, but pretty hard on 6M.

The reducton in angle of radiation is important. Troposcatter depends
very strongly on the scatter angle, which the antenna angle of
radiation contributes significantly to (as does the terrain and
antenna height) and reducing the angle of radiaiton by stacking helps
a lot.  I was surprised at how much the addition of a 160W linear to
my 25Watt 2M transceiver helped.

Maybe we can work in some contest? - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey