Re: [VHFcontesting] about the grid circling group

To: <k4gun@comcast.net>, "'VHF contesting list'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] about the grid circling group
From: "Stephen Hicks, N5AC" <n5ac@n5ac.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:12:41 -0500
Steve,

A number of people worked very hard to craft the new rules for rovers.  One
of the objectives was to give those that grid-circle and enjoy it a place
(class) of their own to do that.  I am not one of those folks, but they have
a good time as you can see from their pictures and with the limited numbers
in this segment of the hobby, it seems silly (dumb) to exclude people.  You
really can only grid circle in the unlimited class since there is a 100 Q
limit with other rovers in the other two classes.

I have been a "classic" rover for all of my past rover operating time.  As
it happens, Ham-Com (hamfest in Plano Texas) was coincident with the June
contest and I ran into a friend with a son (licensed) that wanted to rove
with me and my son.  Under the old rules, I would have had to exclude the
other person from our rove since rovers could only have two people.  It was
a simple choice to switch to unlimited-rover and conduct the contest as a
three-person group.  We had a good time and I was able to introduce someone
new to the hobby.  I would not have expected to end up in this class, but I
was glad when the moment arrived to have the option.

I know this wasn't really the reason for your post.

Steve, N5AC