Re: [VHFcontesting] about the grid circling group

To: k4gun@comcast.net,vhfcontesting@contesting.com (VHF contesting list)
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] about the grid circling group
From: kr7o@vhfdx.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:59:42 -0700
N6TEB is a frequent rover and I always work him multiple times throughout
the contests they enter.  N6TEB/KE6HPZ go to great effort to work everyone
possible and I worked them multiple times on every band I had in June
(would have worked them more had I not been swamped with 6m
openings).  They have a substantial rover station and antenna array (try
google for pictures).  They normally place high scores nationally (if you
factor out the "now unlimited-rover" scores).  To try an class them with
those "mystery east-coast captive rovers" is unwarranted.    I likewise
worked N6NB, W6TE/K6MI many times during the contest.  Those rovers were
responsible for ~50% of my 2M and up contacts and several contest grid squares.

The fact that N6NB is building multiple 10-band stations and making them
available to others is an asset to microwave activity in California.  There
has not been this much microwave activity (with stations adding bands to
compete) since the ARRL created the limited-multiop category.  Take a look
at the number of  CA stations listing contacts higher than 1296 after
limited-multi until around five years ago.  I have to admit that the early
N6NB grid-circling trips in the midwest disappointed me (sorry Wayne), but
once they brought the show to a populated area they appear to be available
for anyone to work.

At 07:23 PM 7/19/2008 +0000, k4gun@comcast.net wrote:
>I noticed something odd.  I'm trying to figure out how these guys do
>it.  The new rules seem to have just given the grid circling expedition
>two new categories in which to win, but that's not the point of this
>message.  I was reading their soapbox
>here:  http://www.arrl.org/contests/soapbox/index.html?con_id=154&call=n6nb%2Fr
>
>I was comparing all their operators to the list of submitted logs and
>realized that one of their group didn't submit one.  N6TEB/R is not listed
>anywhere for a claimed score yet according to the soapbox, he was worked
>30 times by the group's QRP portable member K6VCR.
>
>Why would a guy spend the time and money to go on a 15 grid expedition and
>not submit a log?  It doesn't make any sense to me.  Could somebody shed
>some light on this?  Would this have any effect on the logs of the rest of
>the group?
>
>73
>Steve K4GUN/R

73, Robert KR7O/YB2ARO, DM07ba/OI52ee  (ex.  N7STU)
kr7o@vhfdx.com

www.vhfdx.com (KR7O/YB2ARO homepages)