[VHFcontesting] Re james roving theory and what not

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re james roving theory and what not
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 16:46:01 -0700
James laid out a scenario very well, better than I could when I was whining
about it.

The VUAC has came out and said the the intent was to encourage the team rovers
to compete in the unlimited class when opperating as a team.

The ARRL made the rules as they stand today based on the intent.  I personally
believe that intent is the spirit of sportsmanship we are talking about here
and how some are not being sportsmen about this.

The ARRL and VUAC will have decide if they now want to give the top awards of
three catagories in their contests to one unique team participating in the
event where most of thier points came from working one another or at the very
least is exponentially increased by working one another as compared to those
out there that made indivudal efforts.

It has been apparent and will be further demostrated that gentelmens
agreements, or encouragement will not work in this part of contesting until the
bull is taken by the horns.

That being said; those who go out there for fun and to give out grids, ignore
all of this, beat your old score for your region or see how far away you can go
and be heard.  I am person who wants to compete won't shell out 500 bucks in
gas 3 times a year to do it for a skewed system for comparing myself to my
competetors nor a VUCC award for doing so. But I might if they fixed either
issue.  IE I could ignore the other guys if there was a VUCC for roving, there
would be a personal benifit despite the skewed numbers. Just like there is for
the small fry home station in a contest.

As far as the undocumented rover issue, the issue is the amount of QSOS he
makes with another rover and if the documented rover cherrie picks the QSOS to
harvest the most points and multipliers.   A documented rover who travels with
a  undocumented rover could work every possible combination of grids for a 16
grid run, IE 640 QSOS.  Then compare it to other people worked and only pick
the highest valued QSOS and multipliers not recieved from other contestants.
Thats why in my opinion it should be the first 100 contacts and the number
should be in the order 20-40 contacts in same or adjacent gridand all contacts
2 or more grids away and yes caddy corner would be adjacent.

Roving changed the dynamics of vhf contesting for the better, its time for the
rules to govern us rovers as well as they govern the home station.