Re: [VHFcontesting] Re james roving theory and what not

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Re james roving theory and what not
From: STeve Andre' <andres@msu.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:07:53 -0400
On Sunday 27 July 2008 19:46:01 frank bechdoldt wrote:
> James laid out a scenario very well, better than I could when I was whining
> about it.
>
> The VUAC has came out and said the the intent was to encourage the team
> rovers to compete in the unlimited class when opperating as a team.
>
> The ARRL made the rules as they stand today based on the intent.  I
> personally believe that intent is the spirit of sportsmanship we are
> talking about here and how some are not being sportsmen about this.
>
> The ARRL and VUAC will have decide if they now want to give the top awards
> of three catagories in their contests to one unique team participating in
> the event where most of thier points came from working one another or at
> the very least is exponentially increased by working one another as
> compared to those out there that made indivudal efforts.
>
> It has been apparent and will be further demostrated that gentelmens
> agreements, or encouragement will not work in this part of contesting until
> the bull is taken by the horns.
>
> That being said; those who go out there for fun and to give out grids,
> ignore all of this, beat your old score for your region or see how far away
> you can go and be heard.  I am person who wants to compete won't shell out
> 500 bucks in gas 3 times a year to do it for a skewed system for comparing
> myself to my competetors nor a VUCC award for doing so. But I might if they
> fixed either issue.  IE I could ignore the other guys if there was a VUCC
> for roving, there would be a personal benifit despite the skewed numbers.
> Just like there is for the small fry home station in a contest.
>
> As far as the undocumented rover issue, the issue is the amount of QSOS he
> makes with another rover and if the documented rover cherrie picks the QSOS
> to harvest the most points and multipliers.   A documented rover who
> travels with a  undocumented rover could work every possible combination of
> grids for a 16 grid run, IE 640 QSOS.  Then compare it to other people
> worked and only pick the highest valued QSOS and multipliers not recieved
> from other contestants.  Thats why in my opinion it should be the first 100
> contacts and the number should be in the order 20-40 contacts in same or
> adjacent gridand all contacts 2 or more grids away and yes caddy corner
> would be adjacent.
>
> Roving changed the dynamics of vhf contesting for the better, its time for
> the rules to govern us rovers as well as they govern the home station.

I've been sitting on the sidelines of this debate, as I'm not a rover, and
still consider myself fairly new to VHF contesting.

I'd like to hear what you'd like the rules to be, Frank.  I can see (or think
I do) some of the problems of manipulating the system so to speak, but
it isn't clear to me what can be done.

So--if you had a magic wand and could alter the situation as you saw
fit, what would you do?

Thanks,

--STeve Andre'
wb8wsf  en82