[VHFcontesting] wb8wsf's question

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] wb8wsf's question
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 17:46:16 -0700
Steve asked what would I do.

Ive been vocal on this about 5 or 6 years.
Had some good ideas and some lame ones.
You could find some of them in the past postings back to 2003 or so.

I think I'm better educated on thisngs than before. At first I wanted team
roving banned. But they do spur some activity.

I am quite firm in the idea that team roving should be in its own catagory.
It was the intent of the Arrl to encourage people who team rove to submit their
logs in this catagory. However intent and encorage does not work with strong
willed individuals.

There is quite a few ways not all are mine.

The rule could read rovers can not count contats with other rovers in adjacent
grids, including grids touching by corner.

The rule could be lowered to 30 contacts between 2 rovers and no more than 120
contacts with all rovers.

The rule could be left at 100 and the ARRL could define team roving and state
something like "where it is evident by the logs that a group pf rovers are
working as a team, thier classification will be changed to unlimited."  The
threshold would be where it is apparent that 2 or more stations are contiuely
working eachother in adjacent or the same grids.
(hard to achieve)

Rovers can only count the first 20 multipliers given out by another rover
unless contacts are made from non adjacentand not the same grids. (This allows
accidental contacts in remote areas to count and encourages them to move on and
away from each other.)

Rover to rover no points but multipliers or no multipliers but no points.

No more than 10 percent of contacts with another rover, however the first 20
are not subject to this percentage.

New Idea (today)
Rovers will identify what type of rover they are from the begining of the
contest
R--Traditional rover
UR- ulimited rover
LR-- limited rover
(this will clear up the potential and hypothetically hypothetical issue of
undocumented rovers)

6 digit grid squares exchanges , it will be evident by the QSOS whoes doing
this.

Distance based scoring  to discount the heavy wieghted scores of 1.2 ghz
handhelds on rubber duckies and ramsey lasers we now expirence.

Minimum time spent in a grid. Once you enter you cant leave for 1 hour.  Like
switching bands in hf contests. (I like this one)

There are other ones out there as well.

For the most part it will take of combination of changes.

I hope they throw it out for discussion beforehand and ask for hypothetical
issues caused by the rule changes. Some of this was brought out by others
before the last change.

To put it in perspective
Blood doping wasnt against the rules until it was an issue.
Steroids were not banned until it was an issue.
But the fans and competitors victemized by these practices had hard feelings
before they became rules.  And those who knew better get hard feelings too, Ask
Barry Bonds.

Feel free to throw out other ideas.

k3uhf