[VHFcontesting] Constructive suggestions for VHF/UHF Contest rules chang

To: "(Radio) VHF Contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Constructive suggestions for VHF/UHF Contest rules changes
From: James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:24:32 -0600
If we are unhappy about the results of the recent rover rules change,
it is time we turned this thread toward constructive suggestions for
contest rules change.

Here is one option I suggest after thinking about it on my drive home.

1. Report contest results and assign awards on a grid basis rather
than on a section basis. This would be for all stations, not just
rovers. As the grid is the multiplier in VHF/UHF contests, it seems to
me it should also be the level at which competition is reported and
rewarded. The grid competitions will roll up to divisions and regions
as they do now.

2. Change the rover scoring back to the "old" way, where a score is
computed for each grid square visited, based on multipliers and QSOs
made in that grid.

3. Rovers compete with fixed stations within grids with the score they
achieved within that grid, that is single op rovers compete with
single op fixed stations, multiple op rovers compete with multiple op
fixed stations, high power rovers compete with high power fixed
stations, and low power rovers compete with low power fixed stations.
And each other of course. So a rover would compete for an award in
every grid they operated from.

4. In addition, the rovers would compete in an overall rover class (or
classes), where the score is determined from the sum of the scores in
each individual grid. Awards would be made in the division and region,
as is the case now. Current rover rules and classes could be used, or
new ones could be implemented.

5. Allow rovers to compete for single band awards in both the grid and
aggregate rover divisions.

6. Rovers must operate from at least 2 grids.

This would have several potential beneficial effects that I can see:

1. It would encourage operation in rare grids by fixed single and
fixed multiple op stations.

2. It would encourage rovers to compete in rare grids with sparse
population as they would be more competitive for awards.

3. It would encourage more rovers to operate as they could now compete
in two classes for awards. They would compete for awards at a grid
level, now they can only compete on the division and higher level.

4. It would remove some of the disincentive rovers now have to go to
grids far from population centers.

5. It would remove the disincentive for a rover to work a station in a
new grid when the rover has worked that station in a previous grid,
that is under these rules the QSO would count for both QSO and
multiplier credits, while currently it only counts as an additional QSO.

6. It would reduce the impact of grid squaring expeditions, as the
multipliers worked in one grid would only apply to QSOs worked in that
grid.

7. It would align rover scoring, at least on a grid basis, with the
rest of the contest scoring.

Downsides

1. Rover scores would be lower.

2. The fixed stations might not like the new competition.

3. The cost of printing and mailing awards would rise.

4. It would get rid of the free multiplier for operating from a grid.

5. It would reduce the impact of grid squaring, as the multipliers
worked in one grid would only apply to QSOs worked in that grid.

These are my thoughts. They have focused on increasing activity, not
leveling the playing field. Others? - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey