Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] 902.010 for contests?

To: VHF Contesting email <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] 902.010 for contests?
From: Dexter McIntyre W4DEX <dmcintyre@att.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 10:39:59 -0400
Zack Widup wrote:
> 902 is a lot quieter. I notice the noise floor to be a lot less on 902 as
> compared to 903.

Zack,

I bought a LO crystal to make the change to 902 several years ago but
haven't done so yet.  I use a DEMI xverter with a FT-221 IF and the IF
radio will not tune down to 143.100 MHz.  However I have patched the
xverter IF output into a FT-817 I recently bought used which has no TX
output.  Since it will tune 143 MHz I have listened on 902.100 just to
see how the noise was.  At my QTH the noise floor is the same as at 903
but what I do hear right on 903.100 is a continuous FM signal on which I
often hear something like "I'll take chicken nuggets and a Pepsi"  Are
fast food joints allowed to use this frequency?

W4DEX