Re: [VHFcontesting] K9ZF/R plans

To: VHF Contesting eMail Remailer <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu, smc@w9smc.com, inham@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] K9ZF/R plans
From: Dan Evans <dan.evans@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 11:01:12 -0400
I did find a couple of decent spots in EM67 & EM77.

The spot in EM67xw turned out real nice.  I found a beautiful park just
out side of Fort Knox, KY.  There was a decent hill overlooking the Ohio
river with a nice view to the north, east, and west.  South wasn't as
good, but didn't seem too bad.  I seemed to have some really good
enhancement to the north to start the contest as well.  I stayed here
for several hours before heading over to EM77aw, about 10 miles from the
original spot.

Just as I was finishing my last QSO in EM67, and preparing to move to
EM77, Murphy struck.   I managed to let the smoke out of my trusty old
inverter.  Quite literally, it was an impressive sight!  I had to drive
with the windows down for awhile to clear the stench:-(   I guess
turning the rotator in the stiff breeze and recharging the laptop was
just too much of a load for the old beast.  So I was left using
arm-strong rotation and paper logging the rest of the day...  Luckily,
inverters are pretty cheap these days.

And now today.   The remnant of Ike is crossing Indiana today.  We are
getting strong gusty winds, 45+ Mph, heavy rain, and thunderstorms the
rest of the day.  Not very conducive conditions for Roving, I'm afraid.
I might be able dodge the thunderstorms, but I would never be able to
get the antennas up and down in the high winds we are getting.   So I've
decided to throw in the towel.

I may be able to make a few QSO's from the drive way from time to time,
but I'm not going to try the hill tops in this.

I may do a better recap later.  Hope everyone is having better luck,

73
Dan
--
K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269