[VHFcontesting] QST_ June contest write up

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] QST_ June contest write up
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:50:27 -0700
Steve - I still think that you are focusing on only part of the issue.
It is clear that the 4 points for the microwave QSOa played as big a
role in KB6TOA's winning the limited rover class as did grid squaring.
Yet few if any seem to complain about this. If those QSos were only
worth a single point, you probably wouldn't have an issue. Even if
they were only worth 2 points, the margin of victory would not have
been overwhelming and other  rovers who did not grid circle could have
had comparable scores.

I do not see where these activities have diminished my accomplishments
as a rover, modest as they may be. I know how to improve my score for
the next contest and am implementing those ideas. With effort, I could
recruit others to grid square with me and try to achieve a similar
score to those that have won. I suspect that you could as well. But,
like you, my interests lie in other areas. I have added 22 MHz, the
capability to operate in motion and better antennas for use in motion.

There is no "spirit of the rules". There are only the rules. This may
seem harsh, but it is the only rationale way a contest can be run.

If you do not like the outcome of the current rule implementation,
that is fine. I understand your frustration. Please make constructive
suggestions as to new rules that would make it better and forward
these to your VUAC representative with copies to your Division
Director. Send a copy to the list as well.

We can develop a set of suggestions, that if implemented, will make
the rover classes competitive across as broad a class of entrants as
possible. But we need to think rationally about how to do this. We
need to explore every possible permutation of the new rules. If
possible, we need to look at old entries to see how our new
suggestions will affect them. We need to consider unintended
consequences.

By the way, thanks for getting Toyota to sponsor the rover plaques. I
intend to win one in one of these contests. I hope we can work in one
of these contests. - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey