[VHFcontesting] More Roving

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] More Roving
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:29:52 -0700
Frank - You wrote:

        To answer James’s question : The issue is more the manipulation of
the rules and lack of forethought in the creation of the rules. That
being taking something that was meant to encourage new people to our
sport and manipulating it to work as a team to win all three classes
roving. This is like having Bobbie Fisher showing up to the elementary
school chess club and beating all the 8 year old kids in 5 moves        and
using the results to declare himself national champ. That being said
I’m sure some would compete in a limited fashion just to see how        far
they could go, So it needs to be limited at or below 1.3 ghz. That’s
where the commercial stuff is and that what the class was made  for.
This would not punish the microwave people. They are not beginners.
        The process of healing of ALL contesting will begin with open logs.

I am not sure that the VUAC thought of the limited class exclusively
to attract Joe 706 pack to contesting, but rather to form a class
where one would not need significant resources to compete effectively
as a rover. A four band and a 160 Watt limitation pretty well defines
the upper limit of what one can spend on a rove and still drive around
in a street legal vehicle. While I am sure that the VUAC did not
contemplate a limited rover  operating solely on the microwave bands
while roving, they did nothing to prevent that in the rules. Now that
has happened they can reconsider hte rule, if it should be changed and
if something should be changed, what.

Rules are rules. One either follows the rules or he disregards them.
If one can follow the rules and not get the expected results then the
rules need to be changed. But one should not blame the one who is
following the rules.

There are lots of ways to deal with grid squaring. The current attempt
was a good start. It is not perfect, nor did the VUAC expect it to be.
It can be made to work. There are other alternatives. I outlined some
of them in a previous e-mail.

No matter what we think of the present situation, it does no good to
complain without suggesting a viable alternative. Suggesting that
someone do something is not very valuable. Suggesting what
specifically they should do is a much more valuable contribution to
the sport. If you don't like the current state of affairs in roving,
suggest specific alternatives that will fix the problem without
introducing new problems. - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey