[VHFcontesting] Discussion on rules from one rover

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Discussion on rules from one rover
From: jcplatt1@mmm.com
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:03:55 -0600
Hello Marshall and all.   Good to see an open discussion on rules .... in
this case rover rules.   Yes, this discussion can be tiring, but if we keep
it civil and offer suggestions with pro's & cons it is also constructive
with a common goal of making it all more fun for everyone.   BTW,  most of
the VUAC rep's, myself include, are on this reflector and we do watch &
listen to the discussions.

My own individual thought on the rover rules is that two minor adjustments
could be made.   I direct this concept to fellow rovers .... fixed stations
pse stand by.  The first adjustment would be to VHF General Rule 2.8 to
change the number of contacts that any one rover can make with another
rover from 100 to perhaps 10.   The second adjustment would be in the
definition of what a Limited Rover is, or General VHF rule 2.4.  The change
would be to indicate that RL bands are limited to 6, 2, 432 and any one
other band of their choosing.   No changes to Unlimited Rover rules.

With these adjustments, those who want to pack rove can continue to do so,
most likely as Unlimited Rovers, while those who rove in the more
traditional sense can find equal competition with like minded fellow
rovers.   (Yes I know, I used the word "equal" and "competition" in the
same sentence, but recent contest scores will document that winning rovers
either grid circle and/or pack rove and that this strategy will always beat
those who operate in a more traditional way).

So fellow rovers, what do you think ?   Fixed stations pse stand by for the
rovers.

73, Jon
W0ZQ/R