Re: [VHFcontesting] Is Grid Squaring or Microwave QSO Points the Issue?

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Is Grid Squaring or Microwave QSO Points the Issue?
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 00:42:02 -0600 (CST)
Yes, I've spent up to 20 minutes trying for one microwave QSO. In that
time I could've probably worked 5 or 6 stations on 144 MHz and gone up at
least a couple bands with them to get more points than the microwave QSO
was worth.

But I'll do almost ANYTHING to get activity on the microwave bands. Not
just in contests.  Microwave Activity Day, skeds at odd hours - I'm
willing to give all a try.

All my equipment is homebrew and really didn't cost that much in money to
build compared to buying the gear from DEM, etc. It did take lots of time
to build. Now that I have it, I'd like to get as much use out of it as
possible. Even if I have to get up at 5:30 am and drive to a hilltop 45
miles away on a Wednesday morning for a sked.
:-)

73, Zack W9SZ
Usually QRP Portable from EN50rl