Re: [VHFcontesting] Is Grid Squaring or Microwave QSO Points the Issue?

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Is Grid Squaring or Microwave QSO Points the Issue?
From: N6FD <n6fd@mchsi.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:55:25 -0800
My experience shows that the microwave contacts are actually harder.  It
may not be the case at grid corners, but over any appreciable
difference, it is more difficult.  It is much easier to pump out the
QSOs on 6 or 2 than to set up the narrow beam on the microwave bands.
The additional points probably don't completely compensate for the
additional time required.

The whole purpose of the VHF contests is to encourage activity on all of
the upper ham bands.  From feedline loss to equipment construction to
antenna precision, the degree of difficulty is greater on the microwave
bands.   If the scoring was to reflect that, it would look something
like this 6M, 1point (in June 0.1point); 2M, 432, 1point; 1296 2points;
222, 1296 3points; 2304 - 10000 4 points; 24GHz 8points; above 10 points.

Sure commercial gear is available, but usually not on a ham budget.  If
I had a $100k I could set up a killer station using commercial gear.

Erich, N6FD
Usually QRP Portable from DM15