Re: [VHFcontesting] QST_ June contest write up

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] QST_ June contest write up
From: Eric Watkins <shelshok@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 01:41:14 -0700
>   Again, I am not a rover and don't have any desire to be,

Why such strong feelings about rover rules if they don't apply to you?

I really wish that everyone who had a heated opinion about how evil
the rover rules are actually went out there and gave roving a serious
effort before they wrote it off as "cheating". I rove almost all the
time, and I don't complain about the multi-op or single class rules.
While I don't grid circle or pack rove, I can see the allure, it
sucks to drive out to BFE and then not have any stations to work in
that grid. Having another rover along to work out there is nice.
Someone else made the statement that perhaps all the rover categories
should be eliminated; I sure hope this was a joke. I make serious
contributions to stationary stations contest scores and should the
rover class go away, I'm not sure I'd compete at all.

The ARRL has already segmented the rover category into three
segments, Rover, RoverLimited and RoverUnlimited. Those of us who do
rove are pretty happy about that, at least as far as I know. It gives
the smaller rovers their own class and lets the larger rovers do
their thing. Let's at least give those new classes a chance before
shredding them up. Go so far as to actually compete in a rover class
before hooting and hollering about it. Do you really want rovers to
stop activating rare grids and handing out all those multipliers?

(I do have to agree on the issue of opening up the logs. Information
wants to be free. You can learn quite a bit about how the winning
multi-op stations do it by looking at the CQ HF logs. I can't wait
for the day that the ARRL does this too.)

kr0ver