Re: [VHFcontesting] A reasonable approach to the grid circlingproblem...

To: Gerry Hull <gerry@w1ve.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A reasonable approach to the grid circlingproblem....
From: k4gun@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:10:13 +0000 (UTC)

I think some points are being missed here.  I wasn't around when the concept of
the multi-op stations began.  Let's say that until last year, there was no such
thing.  Any high power station could have as many operators as they wanted.
Then, the ARRL decided that this wasn't fair so they created the multi-op
category so single op guys could compete against each other.

So far so good?  Well, what if they wrote the rules in such a way that multi-op
groups could still operate with as many operators as they needed and still
compete in the single op category?  They would be within the rules.  Would
there be any hue and cry from the true single op guys?  There should be and the
ARRL should go back and change the rules to address the problem.  The multi-op
category was intended to keep groups competing against other groups.

The VUAC did a good thing when they created the Unlimited and Limited rover
categories.  They just need to go back and tweak it so the right stations are
competing within their respective groups.

Again, I don't see why this is such a problem.  I'm not knocking the circling
groups.  I don't like what they have done, but they did it within the rules.
That means the rules need changed and they can go about their activities as
before.  Nothing said should stop them from achieving huge scores and having
bragging rights.  I commend them for that.  I just don't want them competing
against conventional rovers.  Just like the single op guys wouldn't want to be
matched against multi-op stations.

Steve

K4GUN/R